Photobucket
www.flickr.com

23 June 2007

Four Eyed Monsters


I think it's pretty interesting what is happening to content distribution right now. People are doing a lot of experimenting with how to deliver creative products to their audiences.

For the most part I feel like there is a lot of content out there that is too expensive. The powers that be should be trying to achieve larger profits through greater market saturation instead of charging premium prices for content and then wondering why their sales are so low.

An interesting example that I came across lately is a movie called, Four Eyed Monsters. It can been seen for free on youtube in its entirety until August 15th. The movie was interesting enough for me to watch the whole thing, which is saying quite a bit. It's the filmmaker's first feature, and though isn't exactly a classic, it certainly has merit for more than just it's marketing scheme. My favorite part about it being the circular narrative. I won't say any more than that.

Watching a full length movie on youtube may not be the easiest, or most enjoyable experience. I tend to do other things while something is playing in that little window. The better it is, the more of my attention it will get. Of course this multitasking allows for one to take in a greater amount of content.

Because this content is being given away for free; Spout.com is subsidizing their venture by giving the makers of the film a $1 for every person who opens an account on Spout.

This is the kind of distribution model that I think is going to be very effective for the low end of the market and I'm in full support of it. It doesn't involve mammoth marketing budgets from huge distributers and provides a positive result for everyone involved.

No comments: